“Optimising the present. Designing the future.” That is the theme of the Rohde & Schwarz exhibit at this year’s Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona. The company will showcase innovations to improve existing wireless technologies and demonstrate brand new solutions for 5G R&D and standardisation
Technology leader Rohde & Schwarz offers T&M equipment that covers all areas of wireless communications, from component tests to mobile network test solutions. Special T&M equipment for the automotive industry as well as cybersecurity solutions will also be on display.
Visitors can discover advanced test solutions for chipsets, mobile devices, network infrastructures and cybersecurity in hall 6, booth 6C40. Across the aisle, the latest developments in mobile network testing will be presented at booth 6C51. This booth will focus on benchmarking, network optimisation, service quality monitoring, field measurements and big data analysis.
More bandwidth with LTE-A Pro, 5G New Radio and IEEE 802.11ax
Rohde & Schwarz will showcase a solution for the verification of LTE-A Pro user equipment with enhanced carrier aggregation (eCA). The test solution will employ the R&S CMW500 as a network emulator that can generate up to eight carriers in parallel in the downlink (8 DL CA).
Rohde & Schwarz will also demonstrate a number of component and module tests for the new 5G New Radio (NR) standard. In these tests, wideband 5G signals in the sub-6 GHz range and the mmWave range up to 40 GHz will be generated and analysed. The following solutions and test equipment will be presented:
- Signal generation and analysis with 2 GHz internal bandwidth using the R&S SMW200A vector signal generator and the R&S FSW43 signal and spectrum analyser.
- R&S CMW100 5G NR sub-6 GHz one-box tester, which fully supports the existing cellular technologies 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G NR as well as the non-cellular technologies WLAN and Bluetooth(R).
- 5G NR mmWave over-the-air (OTA) test system with the new R&S CMP200 radio communication tester platform.
Measurements on 5G antenna arrays in the sub-6 GHz and mmWave ranges need to be performed over the air (OTA). Rohde & Schwarz will present various systems for testing base stations and user equipment:
- The R&S ATS1000 compact, mobile shielded chamber is used to characterize active and passive antennas and transmitters in all frequency bands relevant in the lab and in production in accordance with the new 5G NR standard.
- The patented R&S PWC200 plane wave converter makes it possible for the first time to precisely measure an antenna’s far-field characteristics at close range in the near field. This makes the R&S PWC200 ideal for characterising 5G massive MIMO base stations.
- Rohde & Schwarz is the first company worldwide to offer a signalling solution for WLAN IEEE 802.11ax. Modules can be tested from development to production under real-world conditions with the R&S CMW270 wireless connectivity tester.
Cloud based automated remote testing
Reduced device footprint and multichannel scalability are key requirements on modern production lines. The presented solution demonstrates the concept of using the compact R&S SGT signal generator and two different analysis devices in an automated remote testing scenario. Analysis is covered by the fast R&S FPS signal and spectrum analyser for performance-oriented users and the new R&S NRQ6, a small form factor, frequency-selective power sensor that can capture I/Q data. The R&S NRQ6 will be shown to the public for the first time at MWC. Instrument automation and result evaluation are based on R&S Quickstep sequencing software and R&S VSE signal analysis software.
Mobile network testing
In a new operation centre and innovations lab, Rohde & Schwarz will present realistic test scenarios for mobile network operators and installers. The booth will be equipped with base stations to be able to demonstrate new test solutions as well as outdoor drive tests in typical operating environments. Network measurements will be continuously performed in the operation centre during the trade fair, providing valuable information for network management. The focus will be on realtime monitoring, remote maintenance and data analysis. The company’s cutting-edge product range covers the fields of 5G, NB-IoT, 4×4 MIMO, LTE-Advanced (LTE A) and video over LTE (ViLTE). The solutions for benchmarking, network optimisation, video quality measurements, installation, maintenance and troubleshooting generate true added value for network operators.
IoT module and component tests
Rohde & Schwarz will be presenting a wide range of IoT module and component test solutions:
- Cost-efficient solution for eMTC/NB-IoT component tests with a test setup comprising the R&S SMBV100A vector signal generator, R&S FPL1003 spectrum analyser and R&S VSE vector signal explorer software.
- Measurement of eMTC/NB-IoT module current consumption under real-world network conditions, using the R&S CMW290 functional radio communication tester and the R&S RT ZVC04 multi-channel power probe.
- World’s first Bluetooth(R) LE signaling solution for realistic OTA RF tests, based on the R&S CMW270 wireless connectivity tester.
- Typical production tests on IoT modules with the R&S CMW100 multi-DUT tester
- Location based services (LBS) test system for locating NB2-IoT modules in networks, using the R&S CMW500 wideband radio communication tester and R&S CMWcards software.
Secure IP connections for IoT modules are gaining in significance in an increasingly networked world. Rohde & Schwarz is the only company to offer a solution that is integrated in the R&S CMW500 wideband radio communication tester and can detect security vulnerabilities on IoT IP connections and analyse IP data streams in realtime in diverse simulated networks.
5G automotive pioneer
Wireless communications between automotive vehicles, other road users and the infrastructure will become increasingly important as the industry is moving toward self-driving cars. Rohde & Schwarz will present protocol and application test solutions for LTE V2x, the basis for future 5G V2x technology. The test solutions are based on the R&S CMW500 wideband radio communication tester.
Another aspect relevant to LTE and LTE A module testing is minimising costly drive tests in global mobile networks. For the first time, users will be able to import drive test logs (e.g. from the R&S ROMES software) or chipset log files into the tester using the R&S CMWcards field-to-lab expansion on the R&S CMW500. The software replicates a real mobile network in the lab.
In keeping with its theme “Optimising the present. Designing the future”, Rohde & Schwarz will also be showcasing a next generation eCall test solution. From April 1, 2018, an automatic emergency call function based on GSM and satellite positioning will be mandatory for automotive vehicles across Europe. Rohde & Schwarz offers not just a test solution for the currently stipulated eCall modules, but also for the successor technology, LTE-based next generation eCall.
Rohde & Schwarz Cybersecurity will present robust, reliable IT security solutions to protect mobile networks, user equipment and IoT components. The company will also demonstrate its R&S PACE 2 deep packet inspection software for network equipment and security vendors. The software provides powerful, accurate application classification and delivers comprehensive data on usage time and type of content. A traffic analytics solution for mobile network operators will also be on show. It provides valuable information for network planning and optimisation and for marketing new data services. Users will also benefit from improved service quality.