Leti, a technology research institute of CEA Tech, will demonstrate the world’s first wireless transceiver dedicated to ultra-narrow band (UNB) communication at the joint conferences of IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC 2017) and the International Microwave Symposium (IMS 2017) in Honolulu, Hawaii, June 4-9.
UNB is an enabling technology for low-cost and low-power wide-area (LPWA) networks. It is one of the core technologies employed by IoT network providers such as Sigfox and Telensa. Based on spectrally efficient modulations such as differential binary phase-shift keying (DBPSK) and Gaussian frequency-shift keying (GFSK), UNB simultaneously optimises network capacity and maximises the communication link budget.
Known as Foxy, the single-chip sub-GHz transceiver developed by Leti is a 65nm CMOS device that pushes UNB technology beyond state of the art. It can achieve unprecedented bandwidths of 100 Hz, even while doubling the power efficiency of the downlink.
“Foxy enables marginal cost, event-based, massive IoT applications, such as those that require millions of low-complexity nodes,” said Thierry Collette, head of Architecture, IC Design & Embedded Software division, Leti. “It also enables complex IoT scenarios that require long node lifetimes.”
In addition, Leti will present its latest developments in IC design dedicated to 5G communications in five talks during the IMS and RFIC conferences.
• José Luis Gonzalez will present Leti’s results on “Non-invasive mmW Built-in Test Techniques” at the 5G mm-Wave IC Front-end Co-Design with Antenna, Packaging and Testing for Future SOC Solutions workshop (WSC) on Sunday, June 4, from 8 am to 5 pm (Leti’s talk is WSC-7)
• Ayssar Serhan will present a paper, “A Fully-integrated SOI CMOS Complex-impedance Detector for Matching Network Tuning in LTE Power Amplifier” (100-4) on Sunday, June 4, during the Interactive Forum from 7:30 to 9:30 pm.
• Alexandre Giry will present Leti’s tunable power amplifiers on RF-SOI technology and front-end module solutions during the Front End Module (FEM) for 5G workshop (WME) on Monday, June 5 (Leti’s talk is WME-4).
• Florian Voineau (ST-Leti) will present a paper entitled “Broadband 55-95 GHz Microstrip to Waveguide Transition Based on a Dialectric Tip and a Tapered Double-ridged Waveguide Section” (WE1B-5) during the Transmission Lines and Transitions session (WE1B) on Wednesday, June 7, from 9:20 to 9:30 am.
• Frédéric Hameau will present a paper entitled “A Highly Linear Bidirectional Phase Shifter Based on Vector Modulator for 60 GHz Applications” (TH3F-2) during the Millimeter-wave and Terahertz CMOS Circuit Techniques Session on Thursday, June 8, 1:30 to 3:10 pm
Leti will demo the UNB transceiver and organise meetings with experts at IMS booth #1937 from June 6-8, 2017.