Texas Instruments (TI) has introduced two families of wide-VIN synchronous DC/DC buck regulators with industry-leading electromagnetic interference (EMI) and thermal performance. The highly integrated 5-A and 6-A LM73605/6 and 2.5-A and 3.5-A LM76002/3 step-down voltage converters feature an optimised pinout and best-in-class thermal coefficient to simplify the process of achieving EMI compliance and higher reliability for rugged industrial and automotive power supplies.
The 3.5-V to 36-V LM73605/6 and 3.5-V to 60-V LM76002/3 buck regulators meet and exceed the demanding CISPR 25 Class 5 automotive electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) requirements. These regulators’ programmable output switching frequency can be set either above the AM band, which eliminates AM-band interference and reduces output filter size and cost, or below the AM band to optimise efficiency. Watch the video to learn how to leverage TI’s online toolbox to tackle EMI.
The small QFN package with unique wettable flanks delivers an ultra-low thermal coefficient of 7.1ºC/W (ΨJB) to improve reliability and enables post-solder optical inspection to simplify manufacturing. Optimised package pin placement allows flexibility in board design to improve heat sinking, which minimises radiated and conducted emissions. Watch the video to learn how to leverage TI’s online toolbox to tackle thermals.
Key features and benefits of the LM73605/6 and LM76002/3
- The new DC/DC converters provide up to 60-V operating input voltage range for nominal 12-V, 24-V or 48-V systems such as remote radio units, ultrasound scanners, motor drives, inverters and servo control units.
- The new regulators offer up to 92 per cent full load efficiency at 12 VIN, 5 VOUT and 500 KHz switching frequency. Very low 15-µA standby quiescent current increases light load efficiency.
- The automotive-grade LM76002-Q1, LM76003-Q1, LM73605-Q1 and LM73606-Q1 support compact automotive applications such as the infotainment head unit and front/surround-view cameras used for autonomous driving.
Support and tools speed designs
- Read a blog post about how the LM73605 can provide a variable output voltage in an inverting buck-boost topology.
- Speed up the design process with TI’s WEBENCH online design tools and download a reference design:
- Order the evaluation modules:
Packaging, pricing and availability
Offered in a 30-pin, 4-mm-by-6-mm WQFN package, the LM73605 and LM73606 are priced in small reels at US$2.93 for 1,000-unit quantities, and the LM76002 and LM76003 are priced at US$2.88. All products are available now through the TI store and authorised distributors.